19 juni 2012

Sherlock Holmes and the deadly Necklace

Christopher Lee is not very happy about this film from 1962. 

"What I found most unacceptable was the fact that, without my knowledge or permission, my voice was dubbed in English by another actor. The results were disastrous."

Hm, yes, as a Sherlock Holmes-fan, Christopher Lee has never been Holmes to me. Neither have Basil Rathbone, mind you. I am still intoxicated by the intepretations of Jeremy Brett of the 80's series of Granada.

When you watch this clip, it is strange to see Christopher Lee's beautiful face (but with a terrible mockup nose to make him more 'Sherlock-like' - quite unnecessary in my opinion) but with another mans voice. With some sort of strange american accent! What a sacrilege!

Anyway, one has to bear in mind that this was Sherlock Holmes before Brett came along and spiced him up. I think this older version of Holmes is a bit stuffy, to be honest.

This is just one year before Christopher Lee did The Whip and the Body. That is so strange. Very different films, very, very, very different roles...


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Hi! Please make a comment! But unsuitable and offending language will make me delete the post. Basta.