18 juni 2012

The man with the Golden Gun

Now this was one of the easiest films with Christopher Lee to come across when I grew up. I never was a fan of 007, but rapidly became one. I really loved Lee in this film.

It has flaws. Roger Moore never was my favourite, the women get to play ghastly roles, at least Britt Ekland. But Lee saves the day. He is über-cool in his white tropical suit, sun-tan and golden ... device.

When I saw this film (rental VHS in those days) I remembered thinking that Christopher Lee seemed to have a great sense of humour. It must have been a relief to get out of that Hammer Horror sequel curse.

He got great many good reviews, which is pleasing to read nowadays, since he actually *is* the entire movie. One magazine wrote: "For Scaramanga, the villain of the title, is played by Christopher Lee, lacking Draculas fangs but keeping that 'haunted' look (...) which probably make him more popular with female filmgoers than Bond himself."

We know it is true.

Lee comments: "In the books he was merely a straightforward thug. I tried to make him charming in the film - interesting. A perfect example of how you can play a part and make it more interesting than in the book. The weakest part of the film was the death of Scaramanga."


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Hi! Please make a comment! But unsuitable and offending language will make me delete the post. Basta.