18 juni 2012

Penny and the Pownall Case

I haven't seen this film, just some clips from You Tube. This is Christopher Lee, not even 30 years of age. The film Penny and the Pownall Case was released in 1948. Lee plays a cartoonist, Jonathan Blair, involved in an organisation saving German war criminals. If I've gotten it right.

Lee himself apparently thinks he was "dreadful" in the film because of the lack of instructions from the director. I think it is wonderful to see him this young, not at all typecasted or any hint of later villains to come. When watching theese short clips I find it really strange that he never got to play first lover. Very handsome. 2 min into the clip.

"I remember I was shot, in the story, and as I'd seen people shot in the War (...) I put an expression of slight surprise on my face and slowly sank to the floor with great dignity (...). Everybody on the set collapsed, convulsed with laughter. They thought it was the funniest thing they'd ever seen (...). When I saw it on the screen, I remember cringing."

Two years later he did They were not divided. Lee appears 2min into clip.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Hi! Please make a comment! But unsuitable and offending language will make me delete the post. Basta.