19 juni 2012

Two faces of Dr. Jekyll

I really love Lee in this film - he plays the scoundrel Paul Allen with a grace that is a pure joy to watch. A great plot (of course), great performances and intelligent dialogue (sorry to say, not all Hammer productions could provide with that).

Thankfully, we don't have to see crappy made Jekyll/Hyde transformations. That worried me a bit, but Terence Fisher left that out. The result is wonderful! Watch it and enjoy Lee at his best! :-)

SCL's own comments are: "This was a script by Wolf Mankowitz, a very good writer, and the part of Paul was written for me. A cad, sponger, dwindler. The man who lives off women, and doesn't pay gambling debts. A rake. I think it was one of the best performances I've given." 

Can't do anything but agree.

"One disagreeable thing that happened to me was that I had to lie still at the end of the film, supposedly dead, with a python crawling across my face and neck. The snake was quite unperturbed."

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Hi! Please make a comment! But unsuitable and offending language will make me delete the post. Basta.