2 aug. 2012

The Four Musketeers

I hadn't seen The Four Musketeers (1974) before. Just some clips on You Tube, and from those came to the conclusion that I *had* to have this film. If not for anything else, so for the fencing scenes.

To be honest, the story is wearing a bit thin - but who cares? It is funny, there is action, and a string of absolutely marvellous actors and actresses.

And above all: There are scenes with men who can fight without any digital effects what so ever. Sir Christopher is the a perfect schemer with his eyepatch and Faye Dunaway by his side. They make a great couple. The budoir scene with a bleeding Rochefort make me rewind the film and watch again. And again.

The film is on the border of beeing too much of slapstick. But that is OK, I guess. After all, it is adventure and not serious drama. That scene with Michael York and Sir Christopher out fencing on the slippery ice is make me laugh out loud. They are both really struggling to maintain dignity - all in vain.

The last scenes, the reasons why I bought this film in the first place, are impressive. D'Atagnagne and Rochefort are growling and panting just as they are running a Marathon. Exhausted, they wobble around each other and of shere tiredness, start making mistakes, lowering the guard.

(Here, Sir Christopher teaches you to fight properly with such a sword. "It's a leathal killing weapon! And it is extremely heavy!" Got to love that man.)

Soo pleased to finally have seen this film. I think I ought to write a special post on all Sir Christophers deaths on screen. We sure have seen a lot of them. I just wish he could live - for once. Here is more on the musketeers.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Hi! Please make a comment! But unsuitable and offending language will make me delete the post. Basta.