18 aug. 2012

To the Devil a Daughter

OK, first and foremost a confession. I never was into those "devil-posesses-child"-films. It's just disturbing. That's why I was a bit hesitant to even see this film. I was prepared to be nauseated.

When I saw The Wicker Man for the first time, the most scaring part was that it was all so ... reliable. The set of values of the islanders are not evil - just different. Just a nothingness, an amoral way of relating to life. There is no devil, blood or anything. Just a creeping and growing conviction that those people are probably prepared to do pretty nasty stuff. And no-one is there to speak up for more normal values.

To the Devil a Daughter (1976) meets the difficult problem of dealing with the subject of satanism in a direct way. That always means trouble, since there is little room for subtlety. There are some moments in the film that makes me just want to look away. But I'll cope.

 *spoiler alert*

-----------------------

Sir Christopher Lee writes:

"In their wisdom -- or lack of it --- Hammer chose, right at the last to put in two things that completely ruined the picture: the obscene baby scene, which was distasteful; and my death, by which I tamely dissapear -- how do you kill the Devil by hitting him on the head with a rock? A ludicrous ending."

I wouldn't say the film was ruined, that is to be a bit harsh. But I'd like to ask Sir Lee exactely what baby scene he referrs to. I think there are at least a couple which could be considered quite distasteful. And the ending is rather a bit like "whoopsy-daisy there he goes".

All in all definitely a descent film. Probably I'm just greatful it didn't scare the pants of me. There are acutally some scenes that makes me think of The Shining in its way they are directed. But those moments aren't taken care of properly.

By the way, I ought to mention I havn't read the origial novel. The film obviously made the author furious.



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar

Hi! Please make a comment! But unsuitable and offending language will make me delete the post. Basta.